Residential Treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder
Borderline personality disorder is a long-term mental health condition that can have a dramatic impact on someone’s life. Its persistent impact can be felt even if it isn’t diagnosed, which it too often is not. Backed by years of experience helping individuals cope with this condition, BrightQuest Treatment Centers develops fully individualized and highly structured recovery plans for borderline personality disorder. In our residential treatment for borderline personality disorder program, BrightQuest experts will comprehensively treat all BPD symptoms, along with any co-occurring disorders.
Residential Borderline Personality Disorder Treatment at BrightQuest
It can take a long time for borderline personality disorder (BPD) to be recognized and diagnosed. Its effects are often profound, but they are frequently linked to other conditions that develop in its wake.
Men and women with borderline personality disorder often feel like they’re trapped in the margins—of their families, of society, and even within their own minds. They strive for normalcy but are unable to preserve a healthy and stable self-image. Throughout their lives, they search futilely for a safe and secure emotional space.
Under the control of borderline personality disorder, life is often experienced as a series of crises, with solutions seemingly nowhere in sight. As a consequence, those with BPD frequently become overly dependent on others, which results in underdeveloped coping and living skills.
BrightQuest treatment programs for borderline personality disorder are designed to produce healthy, whole, and functioning adults. The remedies for this pervasive disorder can be difficult to implement, but BrightQuest’s world-class healers understand the challenges and know how to meet them.
If you bring your loved one to BrightQuest for BPD treatment, you can expect:
- Admissions and Comprehensive Assessment Services. BrightQuest admissions procedures are proficiently managed by trained intake specialists, who can help you and your loved one complete the process quickly and without complication. Meanwhile, our thorough evaluation and diagnostic services will provide your loved one with an in-depth diagnosis of all existing mental and behavioral health conditions, including BPD if it hasn’t yet been officially diagnosed.
- Family Involvement. BrightQuest treatment plans always provide space for extensive family participation. You’ll have the opportunity to support your loved one’s ascent to wellness during lively, stimulating, and solution-focused family therapy sessions, which are only one way that we involve family members in our client’s long-term recovery process.
- An Inclusive Therapeutic Community and Multiple Levels of Care. BrightQuest treatment plans are administered by highly trained and compassionate mental health experts, who make everyone feel welcome, accepted, and acknowledged. Evidence-based treatments for the mind, body, and spirit define the BrightQuest approach, and to ensure sustainable recovery and continual progress we offer all our clients access to multiple levels of care.
- Lasting Behavioral Change. Treatment plans at BrightQuest are built to produce sustainable results. We’ll empower your loved one’s journey to healing through an engaged and empathic therapeutic approach, which will equip them with the insights and coping skills they need to overcome the debilitating effects of their BPD and its comorbid conditions.
At BrightQuest, we recognize the complicated nature of personality disorders. Our treatment plans incorporate up-to-date methodologies delivered by our clinical team and can produce outstanding results when clients are ready to work and motivated to change.
Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
For diagnostic purposes, psychiatrists have identified nine distinctive symptoms of borderline personality disorder, which include:
- Fear of abandonment, often accompanied by desperate or manipulative behavior designed to avoid it
- Unstable and unsatisfying relationships, which may be intense and fulfilling before being undermined by fears and doubts
- An unsteady self-image, marked by rapid changes in self-esteem and constant attempts at personal reinvention
- Impulsive and frequently self-destructive behaviors, which offer fleeting rewards and long-term difficulties
- Self-harming behavior, possibly but not always including attempts at suicide
- Extreme emotional swings, between happiness and excitement and depression and pessimism
- Chronic feelings of emptiness, which may lead to self-medicating drug or alcohol use
- Problems with anger and rage, which can be triggered by seemingly minor frustrations or setbacks
- Chronic suspiciousness and paranoia, sometimes accompanied by feelings of unreality (dissociation)
The roots of borderline personality disorder are usually found in childhood. Those who have this condition often describe exposures to physical, sexual, or emotional abuse. Some report emotional and/or physical neglect, which may have manifested as a lack of support during times when they felt vulnerable or overwhelmed.
Regardless of the causes, borderline personality disorder will affect every area of a person’s life. This is why treatment is so essential, and why your intervention to help them get it could be vital for your loved one’s future.
Borderline Personality Disorder Co-Occurring Conditions
BPD can predispose your loved one to a multitude of co-occurring disorders.
In one comprehensive survey of personality disorders, an astounding 96 percent of respondents with BPD said they’d had at least one encounter with a mood disorder in their lifetime, with 83 percent acknowledging a history of depression. Anxiety disorders were reported by 88 percent of participants, with PTSD and panic disorder being especially common.
On the behavioral side, nearly two-thirds of participants admitted to having serious issues with substance abuse, while a quarter indicated they’d had trouble with eating disorders.
To produce sustainable results, borderline personality disorder treatment plans must include extensive, evidence-based services for co-occurring conditions. BrightQuest recovery regimens for BPD are always customized to offer a full range of therapies and complementary healing practices, which focus equally and with equal force on all the disorders that have been diagnosed, either at BrightQuest or by other mental health experts.
Need Effective Treatment for BPD?
BrightQuest Has Been Treating Personality Disorders Since 1979
Seeking Borderline Personality Disorder Treatment for Your Loved One
Unfortunately, borderline personality disorder often goes unrecognized for extended periods. While loved ones may realize something is wrong, they don’t know exactly what it is and are sometimes uncertain about what should be done.
Whether your loved one has a diagnosis or not, if they’re experiencing symptoms consistent with BPD you should be encouraging them to ask for help. Making it even more imperative is the fact that men and women with BPD usually suffer from other debilitating conditions that grew out of their personality issues. The conditions most frequently experienced include mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and substance abuse problems, and the presence of these conditions should motivate you to take action even if you remain unaware of your loved one’s borderline status.
It is common for people with mental health problems to deny the truth. This is why you must base your evaluation on what you can see with your own eyes, and not on what your family member says about their mental health struggles.
In these situations, you should trust your instincts and act accordingly, for the sake of everyone involved. You should urge your loved one to meet with trained mental health professionals soon, and let them know you’re deeply concerned about the dire consequences they may face if they don’t.
At BrightQuest, we offer full diagnostic services to those who need help with mental health issues. You can contact us at any time to discuss your concerns, and if you want to move forward we can arrange for your loved one to visit for an evaluation. Beyond that, we will work closely with your entire family to develop a customized healing plan for your loved one that puts them in a position to succeed.
Family Involvement in the BPD Treatment Process
Family members are always welcome at BrightQuest. In fact, their presence is encouraged, since their kind words and unconditional love and support can act as a powerful motivating force for men and women confronting their mental illness for the first time.
At BrightQuest, your options for family participation in the recovery process will include:
- Family therapy. Family therapy sessions allow everyone to express their hopes, fears, and frustrations, in an atmosphere where all are united in their quest for effective solutions. Your support will mean the world to your loved one since it acts as an acknowledgment of their importance to your life.
- Biweekly psycho-educational groups. These enlightening sessions offer important information about mental health issues, giving you an opportunity to become more aware of the challenges your loved one will face as they attempt to overcome the worst effects of their BPD in the months and years ahead. These meetings are held by video conferencing, which makes it easy for everyone to participate.
- Multi-family support groups. Family members of BrightQuest clients are invited to attend these uplifting get-togethers, which are held at our San Diego and Nashville facilities on a bimonthly basis. Through lively and informative social interactions, you’ll learn much more about how mental illness functions and about what you can do to make your loved one’s life better. You’ll also be free to talk about your own struggles during these difficult times, with others who understand and sympathize.
Our multilevel family program can help empower your collective efforts to actualize a healthier and happier future for your loved one—and for you as well.
Why Choose BrightQuest for BDP Treatment?
For men and women striving to overcome borderline personality disorder, BrightQuest Treatment Centers can be an oasis of calm during their time of need. Evidence-based treatments delivered with empathy and sensitivity can change your loved one’s life forever, and that is exactly what we offer to everyone who comes through our doors.
Your Residential Treatment Experience at BrightQuest
BrightQuest Treatment Centers in Nashville and San Diego offer outstanding recovery services supplemented by peak wellness experiences.
The benefits we provide for our clients include nutritious gourmet-quality meals, beautifully landscaped grounds, spacious and comfortable rooms, and numerous well-lit common areas where they can read, relax, or socialize when they aren’t busy in counseling sessions or other healing activities. Over the course of several months, they’ll be guided back to great health by world-class treatment specialists, who rely on the most up-to-date techniques and therapies to produce remarkable results time after time.
BrightQuest treatment regimens for borderline personality disorder and co-occurring conditions include:
- Daily individual, group, and family therapy sessions
- Carefully monitored use of medications, if they’ve been prescribed for anxiety disorders, mood disorders, or substance use disorders
- Individualized vocational and educational instruction
- Learning opportunities that teach coping skills and living skills
- Stimulating personalized wellness programming that facilities holistic healing for mind, body, and spirit
The BrightQuest healing experience is designed to promote personal transformation. Overcoming the pervasive impact of a personality disorder is never easy, but it can be done when healers and their clients are united in their pursuit of sustainable wellness. We will be your loved one’s best allies, as they confront one of the most important challenges they will ever face.
BrightQuest Levels of Care for Borderline Personality Disorder
The BrightQuest approach to recovery incorporates evidence-based interventions exclusively. The effectiveness of our program is enhanced by its flexibility, which will allow your loved one to advance through multiple levels of care at a pace that guarantees their comfort and safety.
BrightQuest levels of care include:
- 24-hour Residential Treatment. This intensive, restorative program is reserved for those who have serious health difficulties that require round-the-clock care or emergency-style intervention in a clinical facility. The amount of time a client spends in 24-hour residential treatment will depend on their condition and progress, but once their symptoms are under control they will move on to the next phase of their recovery plan.
- Semi-Independent Living. Formal treatment occurs primarily in our semi-independent living program. When they’re ready to start, your loved one will move into a comfortable, spacious home near the main BrightQuest campus, which they will share with their peers. Their treatment plan will include a full diet of therapy sessions and supplemental wellness services, along with any other support they might require as they gradually learn to manage their lives on their own.
- Independent Living. Independent living is the final step in recovery. Treatment services will continue, but oversight will be light since clients who advance to this stage will have demonstrated the capacity to manage their daily affairs and monitor their recovery without constant intervention. Our independent living program is like a controlled simulation of the real world and provides good practice for those whose time in treatment is nearing an end.
- Extended Services. At the conclusion of formal treatment, BrightQuest clients transition into aftercare, where continuing therapy sessions, peer support group meetings, and other special services will help them preserve their health and wellness.
Comprehensive treatment programs at BrightQuest may last for a year or longer, not including extra time spent in aftercare. The good news is that your loved one will emerge from the experience fully prepared to manage their borderline personality disorder effectively, sustainably, and independently.
The BrightQuest Therapeutic Community
The best response to serious mental health problems is spirited resistance, backed by a sound understanding of what sustainable wellness entails. At BrightQuest, our professional treatment experts will enable your loved one’s resistance, by offering them superior healing services buoyed by compassion and unswerving emotional and practical support.
Evidence-based medicine is powerful in any context. But it can lead to an authentic life transformation when administered by healers who are enthusiastic about their work and always put the interests of their clients first. Inspiring interactions with peers will add even more depth and texture to your loved one’s BrightQuest recovery experience, mainly by teaching them more about the value of trust and cooperation.
Residential treatment for borderline personality disorder at BrightQuest is multilayered and intense. But the environment is always positive and optimistic, which will help energize your loved one’s efforts to manage and cope with the symptoms of their BPD.
If your loved one is suffering from borderline personality disorder, contact us today.