In coordination with BrightQuest's clinical teams, participants in the adventure therapy program experience treatment activities around our beautiful locations in both Nashville and San Diego. Adventure Therapy activities can include rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, photography, and more.
Adventure Therapy is a type of psychotherapy that utilizes activities, metaphors, physical challenges, outdoor activities and wilderness experiences with groups and families. This unique treatment modality is based on the theory that there is therapeutic value in creating safe ways for participants to experience actual and/or perceived risks that serve as agents to create desired change in the participant.
Benefits of Adventure Therapy
- Increased insight into recovery process
- Builds confidence and self-efficacy
- Develops real-time distress tolerance skills
- Promotes resilience and proactive problem-solving
- Provides and indirect approach to treatment resistance
- Builds Group (or family) cohesion
Each week, participants engage in adventure initiatives at our facilities in Nashville and San Diego that support their resilience, nurture their strengths and provide them with the opportunity to have successful experiences apart from their role as a “client” in a treatment setting. In Nashville, we have partnered with Adventure Works to participate in adventures that connect and inspire.
Some weekly adventure therapy initiatives may include*:
- Indoor/Outdoor Rockclimbing
- Mindfulness Hikes
- Map & Compass/Shelter-building
- High/Low Ropes Courses
- Leave-No-Trace Principles
- Sea Kayaking
- Scavenger Hunt
- Exotic Animal Sanctuary
- Circus Skills
- Mindfulness Photography
- Ice Polo
- Indoor Skydiving
- NOLS leadership roles and outdoor skills
* Some activities are not available at both locations and/or may not be available at the time of admission.
Summary of Services
- 4 Group Sessions per month
- Individual/Family Sessions (per recommendation of clinical team)
- Coordination with BrightQuest Clinical Team